Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
We're really enjoying the pace of life up here. Easy going, good conversation, gotta love it.
We're still working on the house, we don't have a dining room table yet or bedroom furniture . . . well, we do have bedroom furniture, but we're going to buy a new bedroom suit (is that how you spell that) as our "welcome home" gift to ourselves. So, we will post pictures, as the previous post stated, just not yet . . .
Monday, June 1, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Our immediate future has been solidified. We are now officially going to serve as pastor of Ames Baptist Church in Ames, OK. We preached in view of a call this past Sunday and were excited to learn that they had a unanimous vote, "Yes!"
Monday, April 20, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
- Over Spring Break, we interviewed at a church for a pastor position at Ames Baptist Church in Ames, Ok. It was very exciting. We had a great time of asking questions and being asked questions. This church is a unique one in that the pastor who is there now has really pointed them in the right direction in terms of good biblical teaching (i.e. expository preaching, that is, preaching through a book of the bible, not preaching topical, feel good messages) and guiding them towards effective discipleship. We intentionally prayed about it and carefully considered it and are now going to preach in view of a call on May 3rd. We're and anticipating good things in that regard!
- Also on Spring Break, we made a trip to Atlanta, GA to see my (Bryan's) sister, Melissa, bro-in-law, Seth, and two nieces, Ella and Moriah. Moriah was born on the immediate Friday before (3.13.09), so we greatly enjoyed spending time the our new born niece numero dos!! Seth is the Connections Pastor of a church plant south of Atlanta called Momentum Christian Church. He and my sister moved there almost three years ago and are doing an awesome work bringing people into/back into the church who otherwise likely wouldn't 'walk the aisle,' to put it in Baptist lingo. :) It is always great to see them and spend time with our niece . . . err . . . nieces!
- A few weekends ago, Whit's sister and our bro-in-law came down from OK for a visit. This was awesome not only because they are such a smokin' blast to hang out with, but also because they bring along with them their hunk of a baby boy, Logan Xavier! So, not only are we the proud aunt and uncle of two nieces on my side, but also the proud aunt and uncle of a nephew on Whit's side! Logie is a stout little five-month-old and totally adorable. We had a great time playin' with him and also playin' our new favorite family game, The Settlers of Catan. If you are a "Gamer of the Boards" and haven't played it, first of all shame on you :), but second of all you really ought to try it out! It's a blast!!!
- Last, but most importantly, this has been a very unique Resurrection Weekend for us [I'm beginning to strongly dislike what "Easter" has become in our society, thus I for now will call it Resurrection Weekend" ;)] Not only are we celebrating the resurrection of the Risen King, but it is also Whitney's Birthday!!!!!! (Happy Birthday again, love). It's been fun and interesting balancing in my mind the great importance of this weekend with the joy of celebrating my wife's Bday. For Whit's birthday, I kinda splurged and got her the newly released iPod Shuffle accompanied with an iTunes gift card . . . Oh Brad and Emily Gentry, what "Apples" we are becoming! ;) The Shuffle is sweet, it talks to you, yes talks to you! You push a button and a voice over comes on telling you what song, artist, playlist is on.
Monday, March 2, 2009
We both ran the Cowtown 5k and successfully finished! It was hard but so much fun! We loved it. The adrenaline of running with 4,000 other people helped out a lot!
And here's the unanticpated result of running in the Cowtown: entrance into our next race, the Seminary Stride 5k!
Whit's Time: 44:43
Bryan's Time: 27:26
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Friday, February 6, 2009
- Friday night, we searched diligently to find something different, yet tasty for dinner. After thinking and thinking, all we could come up with was Tacolote. Err, what? Tacolote is one of those priceless dining experiences ON WHEELS. It's no secret that we seminarians live in quite the Hispanic Ghetto. I mean that gingerly, not rudely. The fantastic thing about our area: Meals on Wheels baby!!! Tacolote is a trailer that sets up in the southeast corner of the parking lot of Seminary Food Store. Upon first glance, it looks like something only in the movies . . . Come to find out, the food there is fantastic!!!!
- Friday night, later . . . we pre-purchased the movie Fireproof and have been waiting for the right time to watch it. Oh man, let us tell you, it'll change your life. Overlook the quasi-quality acting, look for the message being put forth, it'll change your life. Good stuff. No sex, no cussing, stuff blowing up, guy-gets-girl plot, can't beat it!!
- Saturday morning . . . First Euless hosted what they call the "Seminary Shopping Spree." In a nutshell, think of the ninety's show "Shopping Spree," only multiply it by about a bagillion people . . . see pics below . . . First Euless came up with tons of stuff (T.V.'s, computers, couches, baby toys, filing cabinets, kitchen items, beds, cleaning supplies . . . . a car . . . yes, a used car) and gave it all away. Here's the dealy: Students line up on three edges of a giant room, behind tape, surrounding the items to be given away. . . at the right moment, everybody hauls off and sprints toward the items they desire to stake claim on . . . you leave with whatever, literally whatever you could carry to your car . . . it was Cool with a phat-happy "C". Our friends Brian and Kayla made the trip with us as well. It was a blast. We came away with a four-drawer filing cabinet, bed risers, various cleaning supplies, and a 10 piece set of place mats and matching napkins, and a few other things . . .
- Saturday evening, we went to a surprise birthday party. A friend of ours turned 72 . . . oh, no wait, he only acts that old, but he actually turned 27 . . . (sorry Clay and Robin, I couldn't help it -Bryan- I think he was 27 . . . maybe it was 26 . . . it all blends together . . . :)) It was a blast of a time, though. Several folks gathered at a house and the birthday boy was completely surprised. Fun, fun time.
- Sunday morning . . . church. Pretty straight forward . . .
- Sunday evening . . . We went to our Sunday School Superbowl party. Good times, good eats, good laughter, terrible football game . . . nah, just kidding, it was a good one. It was a great time hangin' with friendly folk. We weren't happy with the final score, but it was a great night anyway!
Great Weekend . . .
Saturday, January 24, 2009
1. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. We've been officially following the CSI: gang since Season Four, Episode 406 "Fur and Loathing." (Too much detail? maybe . . .) Whit had seen a few episodes prior to this one, but this is the first one we watched together and botta-bing botta-boom, we where hooked. We have since bought seasons 1 through 4 and are working towards collecting the entire series . . . kinda difficult, though, at $70 bucks a pop!
2. Movies. Nearly every weekend, we sit down to a rented movie. Ironically, we only rarely go to the theatre to see a film. It's not so much that we don't like going out to a movie, there's just something 'special' about watching a movie in the confines of our own hacienda.
Our favorite types of movies are romantic comedies, but the occasional action film satisfies us as well.
Whit's most recent favorite Romantic Comedy: The Holiday
Bryan's most recent favorite Romantic Comedy: Hitch
3. Friends. In our life, there's not much more that satisfies us than being home with each other. EVEN SO, we really love hanging out with our friends. There's something great about being with other couples . . . can't put our finger on it, but there's just something about the whole deal that is a blast! Friends are great!
4. COFFEE!!!!! We both love our nightly cup/s of coffee. Starbucks hardly suffices, so when it comes to indulging in a warming, choice cup of coffee, Dunkin' Donuts does the trick! As of now, of the 5 or so flavors Dunkin' Donuts offers, the Cinnamon Spice is where its at!
5. Church. We love our church. Travis Avenue Baptist Church has been our home church for the past 2+ years. We have been a part of a fantastic community of faith, heard excellent teaching and preaching, had opportunity to do ministry with kids from a local apartment complex.
These are a few things we enjoy doing week to week, hope you enjoyed . . .
Grace to You,
"Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:2
Monday, January 19, 2009
Friday night, Whit went out with some friends from Sunday School for dinner, movie, and dessert . . . mmmmmm!! Everybody needs to see "Bride Wars" and try out Simply Fondue in downtown Fort Worth in Sundance Square!
Friday afternoon, Bryan set out for a long weekend of Disciple Now. He was a Dnow leader of the 8th Grade boys . . . yeah, that's right, 8th grade boys . . . let's just say, no amount of Starbucks coffee could suffice for the amount of energy needed to keep up with them! In the end, he really felt like he connected with the guys and he and they had a great time!
Saturday, Whit went to lunch with her great friend Kayla (whose husband was also leading a group of guys at Dnow) and had a great time of catching up and what not. (P.S. During this time, Bryan was getting "The Beatdown" in dodgeball from Kayla's husband, Brian!! He throws a wicked-mean curving dodgeball!)
Sunday we both met back up together after being apart all weekend and enjoyed some R&R before heading back out "on the town" as we joined some friends in watching the AFC Championship game (wait, was there even a game then?) and played cards as well. Thanks Gentry's for opening your home up for a great time!!!
Monday, MLK day, we continued in our training for the Cowtown 5K . . . ouch, it only hurts a little . . . . and when we say a little, we're lying!!!!
This evening (Monday) we met Bryan's folks for a nice dinner at Abuelo's on their way in from Atlanta, GA. It was a great dinner and great to see his 'rents.